This photo is the Holy Trinity Anglican Church at Maldon on a nice sunny autumn Sunday morning.
Holy Trinity Church was designed in Early English gothic style by David Relph Drape and built from local schist with granite dressings. The nave was opened in 1861 and the building progressively enlarged until 1889
It consists of a nave, chancel, western porch, organ chamber and vestry. The interior is of particular note for the splendid east window dating from 1864, the work of accomplished artist John Lyon; other windows include the signed work of William Montgomery.
The first pipe organ in the church was installed in 1865 and is believed to be the Bevington organ now at Holy Trinity Cathedral, Wangaratta. The present organ was built by Fincham & Hobday at a cost of £273 and was opened on 26 April 1893.
This is the Maldon Athenaeum Library. The site has operated since 1863, however much of the building currently seen was built in the mid to late 1930s as the original building was mostly destroyed by a fire.
The building currently houses the Maldon Athenaeum Library and rooms are also the home of the Maldon RSL.
From the Maldon Athenaeum Library website:
The Maldon Athenaeum Library is located at No. 97 High Street, adjacent to the Post Office, and across the street from the historic Holy Trinity Anglican Church.
The Library is housed in the second building to be erected on the site (the first, dating from 1863 having been destroyed by fire in 1932).
The site originally was the location of the Mechanics Institute established in 1863. The Athenaeum Hall at the rear of the library was built as a billiards saloon at some stage before 1905. During the 1920’s through to the 1930’s the noise and behaviour of patrons caused some concern. On Sunday, 30th July 1935 a fire broke out destroying part of the building.
The general Maldon community was behind the rebuilding of the Athenaeum and before a year had elapsed funds had been speedily raised locally to erect the present brick building. The Athenaeum never stopped operating as temporary rooms were made available until the new building was completed. The present building is “owned” by the people of Maldon and administered by a Committee of Management under the umbrella of the State Government’s Department of Sustainability & Environment. The land is Crown Land.
The local RSL has used the Hall as a clubroom for many years and shares it with the Library and other local groups.
There was a period of gentle stagnation when the population of Maldon dwindled after WW2 but a handful of far-sighted people kept the Library open when all other Mechanics’ Institutes in country towns were closing their doors. Thanks to these few, the Maldon Athenaeum is now only one of six Mechanics’ Institutes still operating as a library.
Now the home of The Little Red Bookshop, the building at 67 to 69 High Street Maldon has some rich history.
The building comprises 2 Shops and an Apartment behind the original façade
This historic freehold was first built on land first owned by J.C. Hawkey in 1854 and then the current property was built by local entrepreneurs the Hornsby’s in 1900.
The shops have been together as one shop, then separated into two shops and now is one shop again. Several things have been housed at the location including accommodation, retail shops including an antique shop, teddy bear shop, book shop and second hand goods shops.